inner voices

Thursday, August 03, 2006

Arrived in Paris

I've done a lot since the last post...  I did safely make it to Paris and have been here about 24 hours now.  Here's a brief synopsis:

Wednesday
Took the Eurostar train from London to Paris.  The train itself was really nice.  Even the food was pretty good (and since it was included in the ticket price, even better!).  Got to Paris and got on the Metro to get to the hotel.  We're staying in the 13th Arr.  which isn't really near anything except for the national library but isn't terribly far from anything either.  Checked in at the hotel with much difficulty as the man at the desk didn't speak english and I don't speak a word of french...  Hotel is perfectly nice though (but small.  and -- despite the fact that i reserved a room with twin beds, they were out of those so Silpa and I will be sharing a bed when she gets here.  Not a huge deal).  Put down my stuff and went for a walk to get my bearings.  I was completely overwhelmed being in a strange city where I knew no one and couldn't communicate with anyone.  The hardest part of the evening was ordering dinner.  I finally found a little japanese place near the hotel (I guess Chinatown is near the hotel) and had a bit of food but was so stressed that I could barely eat.  Went back to the hotel to plan Thursday.

Thursday
I woke up this morning and it was too cold and rainy to run.  I started walking from the hotel at around 9.  I went up Bvd. St. Michel, through the Latin Quarter (so called for its scholars -- not Latin as in Latin American) and to the Seine.  I walked along the Seine until about 11 when I finally reached the Eiffel Tower.  I decided not to go up it because it was raining. 
Hopped on the Metro and went to the Arc de Triomphe.  From there, I walked down Champs Elyèes which was pretty cool.  Only did a little shopping :)  I went into the Sephora store and thought I'd walked into heaven.  It's their flagship and it is HUGE -- seriously three or four times the size of a normal Sephora.  Didn't buy anything there though.  Grabbed lunch at a little sandwich place (brie and butter on a baguette -- mmm) and kept walking.  Walked down Rue Rivoli on the right bank (goes next to the tuilleries and the louvre) and did a little more window shopping.
Then I went to Notre Dame.  Wow.  I only had to wait in line for about 20 minutes and then went all the way to the top.  Not only is the cathedral a beautiful building, but the views were incredible!  I didn't actually get to go into the downstairs of the cathedral (that part is free and the line would have been 2 hours) but that's ok. 
Now I'm slowly making my way back to the hotel.  I think I'm still over 30 minutes away walking.  I have walked a LOT today and will sleep well tonight!

Hope everyone who reads this is well.  I'm doing ok.  Was definitely overwhelmed yesterday but am feeling better today.  Still, I'll be very relieved when Silpa gets here tomorrow!  It'll be nice to have someone to talk to besides myself :) 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home