inner voices

Wednesday, November 23, 2005

RENT!

Just got home from seeing Rent. WOW. While I might not agree with some of the artistic liberties (more later) taken by the movie directors/producers, overall the movie was FANTASTIC! Too bad most of the audience hadn't even been born yet by 1989 (the year the movie purported to take place, which I don't think is right -- I think it should be like 94, but maybe I'm wrong) and didn't grasp any of the significance. So here's my review. First qualms, followed by praise.
My qualms:
1) Why did they change the timing? What was wrong with having everything through La Vie Boheme happen in one day and the rest happen in another year? Why did they have to spread the beginning through an entire week?
2) I felt like they left out some critical storylines, like about Mark really finding himself and some of the Benny stuff.
3) I was saddened by some of the songs they dropped (and disturbed that when they dropped the songs they still said them word for word in dialouge which sounded awfully rhyme-y to me)
4) Roger's voice has really changed (matured, been groomed) since the play and I liked it better when it was rougher.
My Praises:
1) The cast was amazing. Beautiful voices, energy, everyone was REALLY in character.
2) The feeling was incredible.
3) They were really true to Adam Larson's memory and (as a whole) true to the play
4) I just loved it. I love Rent and the movie adaptation didn't disappoint. What more can I really say? It's always easier to criticize something you love than to praise it!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home