inner voices

Wednesday, October 05, 2005

The Music in Me

So I was watching Even Stevens the other day (yes, I'm 24 and I still enjoy the Disney channel... your point?), and anyway it was the episode where Ren is doing Karaoke in secret to blow off steam and then Louis shows her whole family and they end the episode doing Karaoke together to "I've Got the Music In Me." Anyway, it's that last bit that got me thinking about the real significance of music in my life. I'm not a musician, and I won't even say that my musical tastes go very deep -- I'm pretty mainstream. But still, the power of music is undeniable. Hearing a song can instantly change my mood and my outlook on life to reflect my feelings about that song. In addition to the music itself, which is definitely powerful, I think that a big part of it for me is power of music to trigger other memories and to transplant you to a different time in your life. For example, while I have many associatoins with the song, "I Will Survive," it brings me back (mentally) to being i ncollege at DG formals singing (a revised version) at the top of our lungs. Certain other songs bring me back to my childhood or to camp or to various people in my life. And I think that the power of a song to bring you back to that happier place is incredible . Of course, sometimes songs bring you to sad places, but as time passes and wounds, some of those places become happy again.
I don't know if any of this makes any sense outside of my head but it was a comforting thought to me. And in case you were wondering, I've been listening to a lot of classic rock lately.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home