inner voices

Wednesday, September 14, 2005

In the market for a life

I need a life. OK, obviously I'm alive but that's not what I mean. I need something to do. A purpose. Law school is not a life. It's a means to a certain end but if I view law school as my life, then that means that once I graduate my job will be my life and that's not what I want. I need something beyond this -- something meaningful. There's a lot that's meaningful to me, important to me, but none of it is "my life." My friends are not my life. My family is not my life. There are a lot of causes that are important to me, but none of them are "my life" either.
I feel very lost without any purpose more meaningful than just continuing down this path toward something that I refuse to let be my life purpose. I want a life more meaningful than my school, my job. But how do I get there? Where do I even start?